Top Ten Oral Irrigators12 Nov, 2015
Top Ten Oral Irrigators
Adding an oral irrigator to your daily brushing and flossing routine will help you keep your mouth clean and your gums healthy. Oral irrigators work by shooting a focused stream of water between your teeth and along your gums, effectively removing trapped debris, bacteria, and plaque below the gum line.
Whether your dental hygienist has suggested an oral irrigator because of braces, gum disease, diabetes, or because flossing is difficult, or you simply want to improve your oral hygiene, any one of the ten irrigators reviewed here would be a good choice.
1. Waterpik WP-100W Ultra Dental Water Jet. The feature-rich Waterpik Ultra tops the list in terms of performance and affordability. Its delivers an adjustable 10 to 90 PSI and 1200 pulses per minute. Included in the box are six tips, including a "Pik Pocket" for ultra deep cleaning and an orthodontic tip that's great for braces. The unit's attractive and sanitary design means you won't mind leaving it on your bathroom counter.
2. Interplak WJ6R/WJ6RW Dental Water Jet. Safe and effective for every member of the family, the Interplak has a hinged reservoir with a handle for easy refilling, four water jet tips, and a long three-foot hose for increased maneuverability. The cord stores neatly under the unit.
3. Waterpik WP-450 Ultra Cordless Dental Water Jet. This handheld, rechargeable unit has dual pressure control so you can choose between gentle or deep cleaning. Comes with a jet tip, "Pik Pocket" tip, orthodontic tip, and tongue cleaner.
4. WaterPik WP-65 Personal Dental Water Jet. The Waterpik WP-54 has a compact and attractive design which features a cover that doubles as the unit's water reservoir. Its single jet tip delivers a pulsating stream to even hard to reach places. One drawback is that the unit requires some manual priming, and can be loud if used when others are sleeping nearby.
5. WaterPik WP-60W Personal Dental Water Jet System. The Waterpik WP60 delivers 1200 pulses per minute for deep, thorough cleaning between teeth and below the gum line. A pressure control button lets you adjust the power of the stream. Comes with a single jet tip and a tongue cleaner.
6. Waterpik WP-70/WP-70W Family Dental Water Jet. With two color-coded jet tips and two tongue cleaners, the Waterpik WP-70 is a good choice for families. Features a frosted 1000ml reservoir with level gauge. One drawback is that the unit is fairly noisy.
7. Interplak WJ2CS Compact Rechargeable Water Jet. The Interplak Compact Rechargeable lives up to its name with its handheld design and on-unit reservoir that holds enough water for one minute of cleaning at a time. Its size makes it easy to store and a great choice for travel, but water pressure could be stronger.
8. Waterpik WP-360W Hand-held Cordless Rechargeable Dental Water Jet. This hand-held unit includes two heads with different diameters so you can choose between a gentle or more powerful stream. The compact design makes it easy to hold and portable. It's also waterproof so you can use it in the shower. The reservoir is small though, and may need to be refilled a few times during each use.
9. Conair WJ3CS Interplak Dental Water Jet. Conair's WJC3S has a small footprint and an attractive design that complement its good performance and affordable price. The reservoir is easy to fill, and you can choose between high and low water pressure. The unit is cordless and requires three triple A batteries. As the batteries drain, water pressure decreases.
10. Oral B ProfessionalCare 8900 DLX OxyJet Oral Care Center. This full-featured oral care unit includes both an electric toothbrush and an oral irrigator. If you're in the market for both, the 8900 will save you the extra money and space you'd otherwise devote to two separate appliances. What's unique about this oral irrigator is that it mixes air with water to produce bubbles that leave your teeth and gums free of plaque and bacteria.